On July 16, 1999, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) presented the title “City for Peace” to Hanoi. October 2010 officially marked 1,000 years since the establishment of the city.
1. Inside the city
With more than a thousand years of history, Hanoi, the beautiful cultural capital of Vietnam, has many things to see and do. You'll find places in Hanoi that reflect the full breadth of the Vietnamese cultural and historical experience, from the country's founding as a Chinese vassal state a thousand years in the past, to its liberation from French and American colonial powers in the 20th century, to its confident stride into the 21st.
Must-see places: Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake, the Old Quarter, Imperial Citadel, Water-puppet Theater, Ethnology Museum, etc.
2. Outside the city
If you would like to stay away from the city’s noice & its busy traffic, you can extend your trip to other surrounding destinations of Hanoi city for your peaceful & relaxed moment.
Recommended places for one day tour:
- Bat Trang ceramic village, a small village in the north of Vietnam, is about 13 kilometers south-east of Hanoi center.
- Duong Lam ancient village, the first-recognized ancient village in Vietnam, is 40km to the west of Hanoi. It is a truly authentic Vietnam as it still retains most of the basic characteristics of a village with port village, trees, courtyard, temples, well, water fields and the ancient houses.
Recommended places for two days tour:
- Halong bay (the new natural wonder of the world) is located in the northeastern area of Vietnam and in 3,5 hours car transfer to reach from Hanoi capital.
- Sapa – the most impressive view of mountains & valleys is around 320km far from Hanoi, in 5hours driving. To experience Vietnamese trains, you can easily book an overnight train ticket with soft sleeper berths to Lao Cai from Hanoi, then bus transfer to Sapa.
- Ninh Binh – the peaceful & relaxed voyage to enjoy the limestone mountain landscapes, 100k m far from Hanoi, in 2 hours driving. Ninh Binh was the capital on Vietnam in 10th & 11th century.
Weather in Hanoi
Whilst Vietnam is typically warm and humid, the weather can vary significantly from one region to another due to the country's length. In Hanoi & the north, May to October is hot and humid with high rainfall.
- Average July temperature: 29 oC
- July high: 33 oC
- July low: 27 oC
- Relative humidity: 72 %
- Precipitation: 225 mm
For more information about Hanoi, read the attachment.